Pages

Sunday, October 19, 2008

The Last Lecture


About a year ago Donna (my mother in law) told me about an inspirational man by the name of Randy Pausch. He had been diagnosed with Pancratic cancer and was expected to live just a few months. He was featured on the cover of Parade magazine a short while after she told me about him and I read the article. It was quite inspiring! Long story short .... Randy passed away on July 25th of this year, but not before delivering what has been called "The Last Lecture" at Carnegie Mellon University. Not only that, he wrote a book (titled the same) as sort of a memoir to his three small children he was leaving behind.

I had the pleasure of reading the book and highly recommend it. He is an excellent writer - very colorful, very detailed, very down to earth and quite funny! And, it's a very quick read - easily done over the course of one weekend.

The Last Lecture (the actual lecture) is about an hour and a half, but worth the time to watch it. If you need something to do on a quiet afternoon, consider watching it. Here is the link: The Last Lecture.

If you do decided to read the book (which is not the same as the lecture) I recommend checking amazon.com since you can buy used books for dirt cheap! (Graden says I am addicted to books and I blame Amazon.com!)

“We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.”—Randy Pausch

4 comments:

sunnyinaz said...

Hi Tiffy, Thank you for your wonderful blog update. I too was inspired by Randy and his heroic stand. We can all learn to grasp and cherish what we have in life. Thanks again for the pictures and glimpse into your life. Love,

Ackley Family Adventures said...

Hey Tiff!!
I actually have heard his "Last Lecture" he gave...very inspiring! Thanks for sharing the info on the book as well!! If you want another really quick inspiring read, check out "An Hour to Live, An Hour to Love" by Richard and Kristine Carlson. Very good for both spouses!

Andrea Dellit said...

i saw him on oprah re-delivering his speech..so inspiring...thanks for reconnecting me to it...i haven't seen his book...i'll have to put it on my list.

thanks so much!

glad you are back up and running!

hey -- we'll be in IA for t-giving...in case you're in the neighborhood!

Anonymous said...

Hey Tiffany have you read the Twilight series. I don't know if you are into vampires and such, but they are pretty dang good! They are written by a LDS lady from Arizona. I really enjoyed them...and they are fun, easy reading.

P.S. I'm glad you're updating your blog!