Pages

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

"But there's two lines!?!?" ... 14 years later

Today my baby boy turns 14! So hard to beleive it's been 14 years since my life was forever changed! Today seems like a good day to reminisce about how we found out about our little, unexpected surprise ...

A friend of mine suspected she might be pregnant so I went with her to Birth Right to take a pregnancy test. I thought I'd take one, too ... "Since I was there." So we get to talking with the little old lady running the place and she is explaining how to read the pregnancy test. She explains one line means you're not pregnant, and two lines means you are. As I look at the test I say out loud, "But .... there's two lines?". Her reply was simple: "Yep." I went to Donna's house immediately afterwards, where Graden was at. When I walked in I just said, "Hi ... Dad." He was speechless for quite a while. Not typical for Graden.

Then came the fear of telling my parents ... but it turned out to be a very easy thing to do. I was leaving for school one morning and stopped in to tell my mom goodbye. It had been about a week since we found out and I knew I'd have to tell her sooner or later, so I went for it. I reminded her that Dad had had a dream a few weeks prior about me being pregnant ... and that it was true. Her reaction was priceless and is one that makes me proud to call her mom: "Congratulations!" That moment went on to epitomize the support we had from all our friends and family. I still feel very fortunate and blessed to have fallen in love with such an honorable man, have such a great support system by our parents and Gretchen and our friends.

Although Hunter may not have been planned, I wouldn't change one thing about it all. He has made us who and what we are.

I will close this sappy posting with the lyrics to my song for Hunter. He should expect to dance with me to this song at his wedding ...



Baby mine, don't you cry
Baby mine, dry your eyes
Rest your head close to my heart
Never to part, baby of mine

Little one when you play
Don't you mind what they say
Let those eyes sparkle and shine
Never a tear, baby of mine

If they knew sweet little you
They'd end up loving you too
All those same people who scold you
What they'd give just for
The right to hold you

From your head to your toes
You're not much, goodness knows
But you're so precious to me
Cute as can be, baby of mine

1 comment:

Andrea Dellit said...

I'm laughing a little as I picture your face...I would pay money to have known you at that time...Happy B-day to Hunter!

By the way...I hope I can be as good a mommy as you someday...

miss you